Mish and Kirk are two world roamers from Australia. Currently based in South Australia, Mish and Kirk have a big love and passion for photography, travelling, and learning as much about this wonderful world as they can. They love capturing and sharing their travels across their social media platform, @WeLiveWeExplore, and hope to inspire others to chase a life of adventure too.
What are the three things you never travel without?
- Our camera: as big, big lovers of photography, you will never find us roaming without our camera! We have one each, and love to capture memories of all the gorgeous places that we travel.
- Sense of adventure: we love to explore new places and cultures and prefer to do this "a little off the beaten track," and not take the typical tourist and hot spot paths when we can avoid it, even if it means arriving at untouched places that are a little more tricky to reach!
- Food: in fear of hanger setting in! We never travel, road-trip or explore without a bag full of healthy snacks.
What has been your most eye-opening travel experience?
After travelling around the world and visiting receding glaciers, polluted beaches, and dirty cities, it’s been really eye-opening and saddening to see the damage that us humans and tourists are causing to this beautiful earth. We try where possible to lessen our carbon footprint when travelling, and encourage sustainable practices to those around us also.
What is it that you love about travelling? Have you noticed a change within yourself or do you see the world differently since you've been exploring it?
One of our favourite things about travelling has been all of the generous and wonderful people that we have met, from every corner of the world. We love learning about people’s different ways of living, cultures, and have met some of the most welcoming and helpful people along the way. Living out of a backpack for over 12 months taught us to appreciate minimalism, and we developed a greater appreciation for all that we have back home in Australia.
Was there a particular catalyst that pushed you towards a life of wandering, or have you always had itchy feet?
Travelling was something that we both individually were always passionate about, but meeting one another was the push that we needed to leave behind our loved ones, our jobs, daily grind, and set out to experience all that this big world has to offer. Our travels were made all the more enjoyable when we had one another to share it with, and it definitely was an experience that saw us grow personally, and as a couple.
What's your favourite place you've ever travelled, and why?
This is the most common question that we get asked! Every single country that we’ve visited has been unique and beautiful in it’s own special way, and we’ve learnt and experienced different things in each. A few of our highlights however would be:
- Iceland - Mother nature in it’s rawest form and the most powerfully impressive waterfalls we have ever seen
- Peru - Hiking to Machu Picchu, wandering through the markets, eating locally, and soaking up the sun on Mancora Beach.. We found this country so interesting and diverse, and the people to be so kind hearted.
- New Zealand - NZ will always be a second home to us! We absolutely love road-tripping around the islands, living out of a van, and being so close to Australia, we can’t wait to continue to return.
Best piece of advice you would give to another traveller?
Being human, there are always highs and lows in life, especially when travelling, and especially when travelling long term. We make a conscious effort to always travel with a positivite attitude and a smile. You will visit places and experience things that you weren’t prepared for or expecting, but making the most of every situation will help you appreciate that little more. Take each day at a time. Slow down and enjoy those little things.. the smells, the local people, the local food, the traditions.
Where to next?
The Philippines! After soaking up the summer here in Australia, we are looking forward to visiting some of the lesser touched islands in the Philippines. We also found that being away from home for so long, really made us appreciate all of the incredible places that there are to explore in Australia. We intend on doing a lot more travel around our own beautiful country, including Tasmania, and the West Coast of Australia.